What makes it unique?
The technology concept, originally developed by GKinetic Energy, consists of two-vertical axis turbines positioned on either side of a flow accelerating structure, called the ‘bluff body’. The shape of the bluff body coupled with the patented ‘Blade Pitch Control System’ accelerates the flow of water into the turbines resulting in higher power outputs. The device offers many benefits including:
- Two innovative, patented concepts enable more power to be harnessed from the flow without the need for disruptive civil works or a ‘head’.
- A compact design allowing for a simple quick, deployment in rivers and estuaries.
- The option to easily relocate the device as it is not permanently fixed.
- Optimised safety features, both for the surrounding ecosystem as well as users and operators: the device naturally diverts fish and debris away from the turbine blades which run at a slow, controlled speed of 40RPM.
- An easy-access platform, allowing year-round O&M procedures.
- Quick and very cost-effective blade replacement and repair.
- Turbines can be raised independently right from the access platform with no need to lift or remove the entire device.
- Remote monitoring supplies a constant live feed of data on performance and power generation.